Vegan Mushroom Gravy. Also, I learned the word slurry (which has nothing to do with your drunk uncle) ((or your drunkle)).
Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe (by Forks Over Knives)
- 3 Cups Wild Mushrooms of Choice (such as Shimiji, Trumpets, Chanterelles, or Inoki), Cleaned, and Sliced, or Diced, if needed ((I used boring ol’ Shitake Mushrooms, because my grocery store was out of fancy mushrooms, and I wanted to get this shit done))
- 1 Small Red or White Onion, Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Rosemary, Minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme, Minced
- 1 1/2 Cups Madeira or Marsala Wine
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 3 Tbsp Dried Mushroom Powder (Dried Mushrooms Ground in Spice Grinder)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Tamari (Wheat Free for Gluten Free Recipes)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to Taste
- 3 Tbsp Gluten Free Flour (I used Brown Rice Flour)
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Stock
First, gather and prepare your mise en place.
To start the gravy, bring a fry pan to medium-high heat. Add the onions, stirring occasionally.
When the onions begin to become translucent and stick, add the garlic, and fresh herbs.
Cook for 30 seconds or so, then add the mushrooms. Stir well for 2 minutes until mixture begins to stick.
Next add the wine, pouring evenly around the pan and deglaze.
Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes until the liquid is reduced by half. Follow by adding the vegetable stock, dried mushroom powder, tamari, vinegar, freshly ground black pepper, and nutritional yeast.
Bring to a simmer, and lower heat to medium low. Allow to simmer an additional 4 minutes before adding the slurry.
Make a slurry by mixing together the gluten free flour, and the vegetable stock. While stirring the hot gravy with a fork or whisk, slowly add the slurry to thicken (this will help prevent lumps).
Simmer an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat.
+ This meal is refined sugar free (and sugar substitute free), to the best of my knowledge.