My second attempt at a black bean (mushroom) burger (h/t: not vegan) ((h/t: put an egg on it)), meal prepped with sautéed mushrooms and onions, and a plant based potato salad made earlier in the week (all vegan) ((h/t: put a plant on it)).
Recipe: Plant Based Potato Salad
Black Bean Mushroom Burger Recipe
(Adapted from this recipe by The Kitchen Whisperer)
- 2 Cups Portobello Mushrooms, Gills Removed, Cubed Small
- 2 Cups Black Beans, Rinsed, and Divided (in to two 1 cup portions)
- 1 Cup Minced Fresh Broccoli Florets
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion, Minced
- 3 Large Eggs, Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Plus 2 Tbsp Panko Breadcrumbs (I used “Panko Style Matzo Meal” which is kosher; I don’t know enough about panko, wheat, or Jewish traditions to comment any further, only to say that’s what was available to me, and that’s what I used)
- 1 Tbsp Unsweetened Apple Sauce (because I didn’t have any steak sauce, or Worcestershire sauce, which the original recipe calls for)
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, Minced
- 3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Sauté your mushrooms in oil for 5-7 minutes (to reduce the water content), set aside to cool; gather your mise en place.
In a large bowl, add 1 cup of black beans, and mash with a masher (chunks okay).
Add to the bowl, your sautéed mushrooms, and the remainder of the beans, plus broccoli, garlic, onion, and apple sauce; mix until just coated.
Add the eggs, cheese, and breadcrumbs, and mix gently until combined (I used my hands).
With damp hands (the mixture will stick if you use dry hands), form mixture in to balls, then patties, pressing together and shaping as you would any other burger. I yielded 8.
Set aside (wash hands).
Take a non stick pan, and put over medium heat, adding 2 tbsp of oil, and bringing to a simmer (about 1-2 minutes).
Place patties (I fit 4 at a time, doing the last two steps twice) in oil, and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown, and a crust has formed on each side.
+ This meal is refined sugar free (and sugar substitute free), to the best of my knowledge.